Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Man's Best Friend

This post in inspired by the 1st lab I've ever loved.  My parents had the unfortunate task of deciding to put their dog Ruby down this past weekend.  It was a very sad day for them.  Ruby was truly the inspiration for me to get a lab.  I last saw her a few weekends ago when my parents came to visit. She was having a hard time moving as she couldn't keep her legs under her.  My dad kept saying that all her blood work came back and her mind was right, but her legs were just not as healthy as the rest of her.  I know my dad took this especially hard and rightfully so.  Ruby took over as the child of the house when my brother and I moved out.  She kept both my parents entertained when she was young by being very playful and causing numerous smiles over the years.  She loved people, especially my dad.  She knew the sound of his truck and would be sitting at the door waiting for him when he came home.  There is just something about a man and his dog.  I could go on and on with story's about Ruby and my dad.  She brought so much joy to his life.  Now that task has been left up to Oakley.  I've already been told that Oak has been making a few more trips to test trains with my dad.  The bond is becoming stronger, but the heartache of losing Ruby will last a while longer.

So why is it that we get attached to animals?  My own experience with Tag has led me to ponder this thought.  How is it that this shedding, slobbering and at times gassy dog has wormed him way past my defense system and become an integral part in my life.  How is that animals throughout history have done this.  I have read books like "Marley and Me", "Racing in the Rain" and "A Dogs Purpose".  They took me closer to tears than any other book I have ever read in my life.  But my question is why?  I have a few theories that may only apply to me, but a few others that I think apply to everyone.

First and foremost dogs teach us about unconditional love.  I believe all dogs are capable of this.  Yes each breed has its quirks, but the one thing that remains, is that they are willing to do a lot for their master.  I have never understood how people beat dogs and don't for them at all, yet still have them around.  I have become a bit of a cynic when it comes to all these people who abuse any animal.  I don't understand because there are so many stories of how dogs have saved people from others and themselves.  I talked about the dark place I use to be in and I can't say that Tag is the main reason for my move from that place, but he has  been a huge part of showing me that love.  Even when I don't want him to be around me, he waits patiently, and when I call, he is ready to just be around me.  He meets me at the door each time or runs back and forth from the gate to the back door until I open it when he is outside, just excited to see me.  Yes he does this for anyone, but I know there is something a little special in it for me.  He is there when the day is crappy and takes stress away by just showing he cares.  It's amazing that he knows when its time to just sit and cuddle with me.  Even when I get mad at him for whatever reason, he is instantly ready to be by my side when I am ready.  I leave him for hours on end and he is still just as happy when I get home.  He never holds a grudge, but also isn't afraid to let me know when I'm not pulling my weight with him by acting out just enough for me to get mad, but not enough to cause damage to anything.  What a smart dog!!!!

I like my quality alone time.  However, after 3.5 years with Tag, alone time seems wrong without him laying near me, sighing when I haven't played with him or getting up every once in a while to walk by me just so I'll pet him.

Responsibility is another life lesson.  I always hear about couples getting a dog before having a child because it changes your life.  If you get a puppy, you have to teach it, just like you will your child.  Once you have a dog, decision's are based on its lively hood as well as your own.  My travel schedule in the summer is based on where I can take Tag.  I'm just happy my parents and family understand and let me take him wherever.

Here are a list of other traits that I won't go in depth on: Loyalty, Patience, Trust.

The greatest lesson Tag has taught me is to enjoy the simple things in life.  He is a constant reminder of how chasing a ball can be so fun.  He is excited every single time he sees one.  I wish I could be half as excited as that about something in my life.  Watching him chase the ball, fall over it, slip, play in the snow, hike, bouldering (Yep, he's pretty good at following me up rocks), makes me smile and enjoy life itself.  Its a constant reminder that I shouldn't take it so serious and instead, I should just chase a ball around :).

I can't even think about the day I'll have to make the decision my dad had to make.  I don't think I could do it.  On the other hand, I hope I know when to do it.  As with my family, I don't ever want Tag to suffer.  He has been a loyal and worthy companion since the day I got him.  I think God has used Tag to open my eyes to the things mentioned above and see them in a new light.  The day will come when he passes, like all things in life, there is an end.  I'm just glad I'll be able to spend as much time as I can with him.  I'm still trying to figure out what he is going to do when I get married and he moves to number 2 on my list.  I'm hoping he's smart enough to understand.

So with this I say thanks Ruby for the fun, the love and all the joy your brought to the family.  You'll be missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment