It's been a busy last few months. I have done a lot, but a lot has changed in my life. I'll focus more on changes in this blog and tell you about my adventures in another at a later time.
Whitworth has been know for the longevity of its staff and faculty. There is typically very little turnover. I remember my first couple of years in our opening department retreat and everyone in the room had been there 10 or more years. There were a few of us under that, but that speaks a lot for the department. However, over the last few years we have replaced a number of coaches, staff and a few administrators. Softball seems to be a revolving door so not too many surprises when that coach left after a few years. Our Men's basketball coach took off after a very successful 10 years. This year, one of the longest serving coaches, Sean Bushey resigned. He has a great opportunity to do something new and be close to his brother and son coaching for the Colorado rush. Cheree Sauer and Todd Sandberg have also left the department. The loss of these 3 has hit me the hardest since I worked closely with all 3 and have tremendous respect for the things they have done for the athletic department and the student athletes they serve. I'm glad I was able to work with Sean, a man who goal was to successful playing the beautiful game, but also develop young men that would be contributors to society. Todd and Cheree truly cared for the student athletes they served and they will be missed by all. After getting the news that these 3 were leaving this year, my best friends asked to meet me for coffee before a round of birthday golf. He wouldn't let me buy the coffee. In fact, he was adamant about it, which gave me the idea that he was about to tell me something big. Sure enough, a month later he was on his was to Phoenix for a new job. And then there was more...... I have built a good relationship with our new AD and his family. They invited me up to dinner often and I would go hang out with them. For some reason his wife allowed me to be around. I was around so much that his girls took a liking to me, but in the end, as most of you are aware, he took a job at his old place of employment. It's a fantastic move for him and his family. It was God's plan for him as things have just fallen into place as they prepare to move. Nothing like selling your house in 24 hours and having one ready to buy within a few days of house shopping. God is good!! You would think I would be use to change as I lose a senior class every year for each of the sports I work with. This year's class hit a little harder as one of the athletes I worked with the most graduated. I spent countless hours treating this kid. In fact, I have spent countless hours treating numerous members of the same family. When you spend so much time with an individual you're bound to build a friendship. This family is comprised of extraordinary people and I am glad I had the opportunity to work with their kids.
It seems to me that with change comes more changes. As our AD left, it opened up opportunities for others. Melinda Larson, my boss, was named Interim Athletic Director. This is a full time job and I'm confident she will do very well. After being promoted, all signs seem to point that she has the chance of making it a full time gig by removing the interim tag. With her promotion, that left the head athletic trainer position vacant. I was asked to take on the roll on an interim basis. I asked what would happen if I said no and was told it wasn't an option. It's not like I was going to turn it down :). This gets me a step closer to reaching one of my career goals. However, it's still scary. I'm taking over a program that been success for years and doing it with an entirely new staff. We have hired two individuals to replace Cheree and Todd and are in the process of hiring 1 more to replace Mel. I'm taking over at a time with 2 new head coaches and an athletic department that has been changing rapidly over the last 4 years. I'm up for the challenge, but at what cost will this challenge be met. On one hand I'm just the interim, but on the other I want to make some changes that could drastically effect the way athletic trainers work at Whitworth. I've been told by many not to pay attention tot he interim tag, to take the program and make changes as if the job is mine to keep. In the end, if Mel stays as the AD, I stay as the head. As I venture into this new, scary area, please keep me in your prayers as God and I will be having numerous conversations along the way.
These career changes will have an effect on my personal life. I have been getting better at balance work and life. I was actually more skewed towards life last year, which is unprecedented for an athletic trainer. I will continue to strive for a healthy balance, but the amount of work I will be doing in the fall will limit some of that. I'm already looking at a long term schedule to find opportunities to get away. Don't be surprised if you hear from me asking what your doing on a weekend or if I can come crash at your place :)
As scared as I am about these changes, I am also confident that this is where God wants me. Over the last two years I have made a point of learning more about the workings of a head athletic trainer. Mel has given me more responsibility and allowed me in on a few conversations to give me more insights into what a head AT does and the things they deal with. I already know that my priority will be to make my staff and students successful, to give them the tools they need and to let God lead the way through me. This is also a huge prayer point for me. I will have constant reminders that God is good and will focus on that during my first few months as things are crazy busy. Keep me in your prayers as this new adventure begins.
Blessings,
Jon
No comments:
Post a Comment