I wrote this on my way home from a trip to Wisconsin. It was the day after our loss in the Sweet 16 of the Division III national tournament. I've been editing over the last few week, but it is somewhat easy to relate to during this March Madness time of year. Enjoy.
Losing is hard. Losing means that one team’s season is over and another gets to continue. We lost a few days ago. There are lots of reasons why. We didn’t hit free throws at the end of regulation. We didn’t get a shot off in the last 10 seconds to win it. We turned the ball over late in overtime. The refs missed a 3 second and a 5 second call. They also missed two consecutive fouls and then called a bogus jump ball. We lost. Losing in sports causes grown men to go crazy and cry. It ends careers. We had a great group of seniors that I will miss dearly. Its hard when you are expecting to be with the group for another week and then BAM, it’s over. Life moves on for sure, but sometimes we miss the point. We miss some of the things life is really about.
I am often asked which team I like to work with the most. I love soccer, but for various reasons, basketball is my favorite. The roster size is easier for me to manage and it seems easier to build relationships. I also spend more time with them as I travel almost every weekend from mid November to March with them. For some of the seniors, I have spent 4 years getting to know them. From the time they were freshman until now. I have had the privilege of watching them grow into the men they are today. With any luck, God has allowed me to help mold and shape them into something the world will someday recognize as great. One is getting married, another moving on to be a personal trainer and a third has to be the biggest improvement I’ve ever seen in a man. There are jokes about how he is going to be, but he is one of the most loved players ever on any team I’ve been on.
We had two different situations happen to us after the game to really put the world in perspective. Yes losing sucks, but there are moments that remind us how miniscule basketball really is. Our coaches wife made the trip to cheer us on despite being 7 months pregnant. After the game she became sick and was taken to an urgent care. Fortunately all was ok. For our coach, losing was hard. It ended his time with the senior mentioned above. He felt like the refs screwed us. But all of that did not matter when his wife and future child may be in danger. Life was put back in perspective for him after a tough night.
The other moment happened at the airport. As we were walking through the airport looking for a place to eat, we noticed that fire trucks, police cars and ambulances were assembling near a gate.
Since 9/11, any gathering of emergency vehicles like this at an airport causes some concern for those seeing it. However, rationale thought creeps in and makes you think that if something major were going on, they wouldn’t be bringing the plane near the terminal. Instead, they would take it to the opposite corner of the airport. Then you start to think about someone on the plane being sick, but the mass gathering of vehicles wouldn’t happen for just one person. As we were standing there watching, we noticed a military honor guard assembling below the gate. One of the coaches finally asked someone what was going on and were told that a soldier killed in Afghanistan was returning home on the flight pulling into that gate. In the past 8 years I’ve learned to keep my emotions to myself and lock them up. However, I couldn’t keep my feelings locked down as the plane pulled into the gate.
Fire trucks on either side launched water over the top of the plane from each side. Every firefighter, police officer, military officer and grounds person was standing at attention as the plane pulled in.
We watched as they took an American flag into the cargo hold to cover the casket, as they unloaded the soldier’s casket and as the honor guard carried him to a waiting vehicle.
I'm not very good when it comes to emotions or describing things in a way for you to understand the feelings I was having. I had a sense of honor to be able to see something like this after what I thought was a tough weekend for me. I felt sad both for the solider and their loved ones, but also for myself because I have a tendency to forget there is way more to life than the little world I keep myself in. I felt gratitude for all those serving in the armed forces and their willingness to put their lives on the line when asked by our government. My mind wondered to my grandparents who have served, to family members that have served and to friends that are currently serving. As I watched the soldier moved to another vehicle I said a little prayer. I thanked God for putting perspective back into my life, for the soldier and their sacrifice, for the blessings in my life and for the group of guys I was with. I prayed for the family of the soldier, for the safety of those serving and the end of the conflicts we are currently involved in. These things have been constant in my prayers this week as I look to put my life back into perspective and to see the things that are truly important.
Thank you to those who have volunteered to protect and serve our country in the past, the present and those who choose to do so in the future. Its likely I won't ever be able to express my gratitude to each one of one of you due to distance or life circumstances, but I hope you understand how grateful I am for you.
Blessings,
Jon
No comments:
Post a Comment