Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Winter Wonderland

There is nothing more relaxing and rejuvenating than being in the silent, snow filled wonderland out in the middle of nowhere.  I seldom get multiple days off and was lucky enough to have a 3 day weekend recently.  Instead of spending it at home cleaning my houses, watching too many things on netflix or twiddling my thumbs, I decided to spend it with my friend Matt in the winter wonderland just outside of Ronald WA.  My sister in-law hooked us up with her parents cabin.  It was 3 days and 2 nights of men being men in the snowy wonderland.

Matt is always kind enough join me on these adventures, no matter how crazy they may seem.  Neither of us had ever really been snowshoeing. We had both been on trips where the path was packed down and the snowshoes were more of a formality.  We had a few ideas of places to go, but mostly just wanted to get out into the wilderness where we could find pristine winter beauty.   We stopped to talk to the ranger and he suggested a few spots.  We drove in on Friday so only had a few hours of daylight to hike.  We started on a snow machine trail and decided to go cross country just to see what we could find.  We ended up on a little hill that overlooked Cle Elum lake.


The plan for the next day was to hike longer, trying to find untouched trails that would lead to something great.  The Copper River Trail did not disappoint.  We were lucky to be the first on this trail even though it had been a week since it last snowed.  The snow was deep (4-5 feet), the trail hard to follow and the hike started out uphill for the first hour. 

 Matt actually fell in up to his waste at one part.  The snow covered a little creek leaving soft snow on top, leaving a sort of trap waiting for him.  Lucky for me I had taken the high road or that could have been me...


The comment “Snow shoes are like 4 wheel drive for your feet” constantly remained true as we hiked up hill for nearly an hour.  The snow just kept getting deeper and deeper, but we just sat on top of it.  You could tell the depth by the many tree wells that surrounded us.  The trail was tough to follow as it dipped and weaved trees, around hills and over creeks.  We had to do a few creek crossings (me attempting to jump over one).


Our legs were pretty tired about 2 hours in due to the constant up hill and blazing our own trail.  After stopping for lunch under the cover of some trees (melting snow had fallen from trees above our heads a few times and almost took Matt out), we decided to head back to the trail head.  We didn’t know where the trail was leading or how much longer it might take to get there.  (Later we would find out we had about 1 mile to Copper Lake…bummer). 

So why tell this story of my little vacation?  To brag that I had 3 days off?  No.  I want to convey that it was much more than a 3 day vacation for me.  It was an opportunity to seek God in an atmosphere I feel closest to Him.  I can't express the joy I have when out in the wilderness, away from the busy life. I smiled the entire time we were hiking.  I felt free.  Free of worry, free of stress and free of struggles.  Freedom is great feeling and allowed me the opportunity to seek God's wisdom without the constant distractions I have at home.  While surrounded by the vast whiteness of snow I couldn't help but think of Isiah 1:18 where God says “ Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow…”  Being right in the middle of what God was saying there mad me think of the grace I don’t deserve, a God who loves me unconditionally and the fact that even when I fall, He is there to pick me up.  Talk about feeling grateful!!!  I often sing hymns as I walk in praise of the One who created the beauty I seem to find myself in when I hike.  I think a lot of my closeness to God in the mountains stems from all the years I spent at Camp Perkins, a place I always felt closer to God.  It was hard not to as you were surrounded with so many other believers and people to look up to.  Again, a feeling a freedom when I was there. 

Now the challenge: How can I find this feeling of freedom in my everyday life?  Commitment.  I have to make the commitment to seek Him daily, even though I'm not in the mountains.  If I can do this,  I can have that freedom feeling everyday and take joy in knowing that feeling is God's grace and love washing over me.  Will it happen everyday?  I will strive to do so, but knowing God will be there on the days I don't, just waiting for me to come to Him again.
   

Blessings friends,

Jon


1 comment: